Monday, February 1, 2016

Family of Feminists

Many of my friends are sane enough to resist the temptations of plastering their lives onto Facebook, but you do occasionally miss some gems.

Here's today's post from my daughter Marie--more of an essay than a status update:


Here's the latest feminist news article my dad emailed me that I was abbbbouuut to archive, but didn't. Because living up to my own expectations of what being a fierce young feminist looks like, means i just don't have time to read all these damn articles outing everyone and their mother for fulfilling their civic patriarchal duty. 
Luckily, I was able to go against my wiser intuition of going to bed–to be well rested for week two of my new badass, challenging, rewarding, tech job mitigating risk & fraud in the finance world–and started reading the article only to find that is was (as expected) super interesting, super relevant, thoughtful, well written, AND based on research from Pitzer linguist professor, Carmen Fought! Yay Pitzer College!

Thanks dad (John Arthur), for bringing this article to my attention.
I also want to give a shout out to my badass, feminist, hilarious, righteously-uncontrollable mother, Anne Eggebroten, for getting 'kicked out' of the first night of her writing class tonight, i.e. asked to leave by the "teacher" as they handed her her payment back, lolol. Apparently this 40-yr-old-ish female teacher addressed the mixed-gendered group of students (6 women, 2 men) as "you guys." (If you now my mom at all, you already know where this is going... lol...) 
To which my mother politely replied that she was not a guy and that it made her uncomfortable to be addressed that way (AKA story of fucking my life, or at least the first 18 yrs of my life, when I had to listen to her say this shit to everyone, everywhere😂😂😂
as i cowered in the closest corner I could find in Shakey's Pizza, or whatever public establishment we were attempting to patron, drenched in embarrassment, trying to pretend that I had absolutely no relation to "that crazy lady over there"). 
😂😂).
But of course, all laughs aside, I am OBVIOUSLY my mother's daughter as I WOULD NEVER address a mixed gendered, or heaven forbid, group of only women or girls, as "you guys." And if you know me well, you already knew that too.
Oh yeah, and here's the link to that article from pops,https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/researchers-have-discove…/…

And if you got this far, it's worth the time. Enjoy y'all wink emoticon ‪#‎seewhatididthere‬‪#‎winkyemojifacetimesthree‬ ‪#‎nowseriouslythoigottagotobed‬

No comments: