Saturday, February 28, 2009

Job Wanted: Caregiving

A young friend of mine, Ryan Gonzalez, cared for John, an elderly man with dementia, 12 hours per day, 6 days per week for four years.

I saw him every day when I visited my mother at Sunrise Assisted Living.

But then about ten days ago, John's family decided to move him to a facility in Arizona, probably to save money.

Ryan writes, "The worst part is that I was informed the day before he was leaving. I don't have any work right now and am still looking. If you know somebody who's is looking for a male caregiver in the Santa Monica area or somewhere close to where I live, please refer me so I can work directly with no agency involved.

I'm still flabbergasted right now and overwhelmed by what has happened. It was so fast that I had no any single clue at all."

John kicked Ryan, spit on him, and did other really difficult things, but Ryan stayed patient with him and fairly cheerful. (John's cantankerousness was such that he could not have stayed at Sunrise without one-to-one care.)

Ryan was getting maybe $6 an hour--but his agency was getting $12 or more. These agencies provide no health insurance or other benefits, no vacations. They regard the caregivers as independent workers, not employees.

Employment justice for those who care for the elderly and children is a big issue. Most caregivers are recent immigrants without education but with a tremendous personal generosity.

If anyone needs a caregiver, I highly recommend this young man.

No comments: