Monday, September 15, 2008

Sexist Acronyms Hit Bigtime

"Wasn't Tina Fey great!" my boss laughed.

"I missed it," I admitted--the opening moments of the season premiere of Saturday Night Live two days ago.

"Oh, you've got to see it," she answered.

Despite my protests of not wanting to take her away from her work, she pulled the show onto her computer screen right then and there for my benefit: Tina Fey as Sarah Palin and Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton.

Each was right on target with the voice and mannerisms of her look-alike; together they were a great spoof.

"Sarah" begins by addressing the "now very ugly role sexism is playing in the campaign."

"An issue which I'm frankly surprised people suddenly care about," "Hillary" comments ironically.

I loved the performance until "Sarah" complains about being called a "MILF" and "Hillary" laments the acronym "FLIRGE."

"I had to google 'FLIRGE'" my boss admitted.

I didn't ask--she didn't tell, but my daughter supplied me with the words behind "MILF" and I googled the other one.

In each acronym, the "I" speaking is a young sexist male whose entire world view consists of which women he would or would not like to have sex with.

Both candidates are reduced to a vagina.

Thanks, SNL, for bringing millions of viewers this bottom-feeder grunge.

No comments: