Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pretty Ugly

It was ugly: a person who started in politics with the PTA attacking her opponent for starting as a community organizer.

When she walked onto that huge empty stage at the Republican national convention, a lone woman in a pencil skirt and heels, smiling, waving, I found myself whispering, "You go, girl!"

She'd had a makeover: gone was the beehive, replaced by hair just below her shoulders in back.

But soon after she opened her mouth, I was shocked by the meanness.

* Obama "campaigning as a way to find himself."

* Obama as one who "wants to read terrorists their rights," not fight them.

* Obama "using change for his career" vs. McCain "using his career for change."

* Obama planning to raise taxes, despite his promise to lower them for 95% of us.

* Obama as all talk, having written two memoirs "but not one major bill" (a statement both erroneous and anti-intellectual, as my husband noted.)
I guess I'm now a member of Memoir Writers for Obama.

Caving in to cliche, she attacked "the media"--that convenient amorphous multiple singular.

George Orwell would ban such generalities. Please, could we all just list list 2-3 newspapers or tv pundits to which we object rather than spewing out fog words?

By the end, I realized that despite my strong desire to see a woman as president or vice-president of the US, I don't want her to win.

She's quintessential Republican, against most of what I'm for.

No comments: